Safe and Well Visits – Hampshire Fire Service
Free visits for the most vulnerable in our community.
Safe and Well is a Home Fire Safety visit that’s tailored to an individual’s needs, relating to their health and lifestyle choices.
We offer free of charge:
- A custom-made information pack
- We can install new and check existing smoke alarms
- We can issue fire retardant bedding, furniture throws and nightwear where needed
- We can also refer to other services for their professional assessment
Whilst we’d like to offer visits to all Hampshire residents we simply aren’t able to. As such we focus our visits on the most vulnerable people in our community. The following is a list of vulnerabilities that may indicate a person is at more risk of harm from fire:
- Cognitive impairments – which would mean a person might not understand what to do in the event of a fire
- Mobility impairments – meaning a person’s ability to escape from a property in an emergency would be hindered
- Signs of carelessness with smoking materials – burn marks evident within the property
- Substance misuse – which may impair a person’s ability to exit a property in an emergency
- Hoarding or high levels of clutter – this can obstruct a person’s ability to exit a property as well as provide high levels of fuel to feed a fire
- Returning home from hospital and there are fire concerns in the home, e.g. burn marks on bedding, furniture or carpets. Electrical faults, unsafe practices with cooking and heating the home, the occupier smokes and there is no fire alarms installed in the home